High-alpine ski touring in Austria
for AlpenParks guests
Fantastic tours for all ski levels
The majestic, seemingly endlessly mountains around Mariapfarr captivate skiers and snowboarders thanks to their extensive, versatile slopes. However, there’s also a lot to experience beyond them. The numerous mountains are ideal for extensive ski touring in Austria in high-alpine terrain. AlpenParks Hotel & Apartment Carpe Solem Mariapfarr is only a few kilometres from the best ski tours near Tamsweg, and you can quickly reach the next touring region with the free ski bus that stops almost directly outside the front door.
Before you begin
Your safety takes priority when touring. There’s always a certain risk despite technical aids. Please keep the following safety instructions in mind before tackling the mountain:
- Check the current avalanche report (lawine.salzburg.at) before every tour. Alternatively, you can call the avalanche hotline on +43 (0)662 8042-2170.
- Suggestions and recommendations by mountain guides, lift operators and locals familiar with the mountains minimise the accident risk and should be kept in mind.
- Only tackle tours that fit your skill and endurance levels.
- When in doubt, only explore ski tours in Mariapfarr and in the Lungau with experienced mountain guides.
- Modern, perfectly maintained avalanche protection equipment needs to be carried at all times and has to be checked extensively before every tour.
- Please follow the respective local regulations. For example, ski touring on the Fanningberg in Weisspriach-Mariapfarr is prohibited during the main season.
Suggestions for ski mountaineers
More than 30 designated ski tours in the Lungau lead to glorious peaks with unique panoramas across quiet, pristine hills. How about:
- Gumma: The Gumma unveils gorgeous views via the divine southern flank. Ascending from the valley station of the Lessach ski lift to the summit at 2,316 m via the Wildbachhütte poses smaller challenges.
- Preber: Probably Lungau’s best-known touring mountain can be scaled either via the Prebersee lake or via Lessach. Things become tricky on the giant slope, which is completely unobstructed but very steep. The view from the summit reaches the Julian Alps and the Grossglockner.
- Zechnerkarspitze: Experienced ski mountaineers tackle this crest between the two valleys of Weisspriachtal and Lignitztal. The tricky ascent of 1,082 metres is particular fun in firn snow conditions. An equally challenging downhill descent awaits on the beautiful and striking summit.
These and other ski touring options in Austria lend your next winter holiday that certain something. Make AlpenParks Hotel & Apartment Carpe Solem Mariapfarr your touring homebase and discover many additional holiday benefits on site. Have you booked your 4-star apartment yet?