There’s a village on a magical altitude of 1,100 metres that has a particular abundance of sunshine. Mariapfarr, with its divine nature and high mountain peaks, is in Salzburg’s Lungau in the heart of Austria. Joseph Mohr wrote the lyrics to the world-famous Christmas carol ‘Silent Night! Holy Night!’ here in 1816.
Furthermore, the local mother church was documented as early as 1,100 years ago. Steeped in history and tradition, but also home to sporty, active and relaxing adventures – a holiday in Mariapfarr promises entertainment for all ages and interests.
AlpenParks Hotel & Apartment Carpe Solem Mariapfarr – with its 4-star holiday apartments, countless amenities and direct connection to pure spa indulgence – awaits you in this historical village that has managed to keep with the times. A walk through the village is very relaxing. Mariapfarr is regarded as Austria’s sunniest place with good reason. Plenty of sunshine in both summer and winter set the mood. The Salzburger Lungau Biosphere Reserve acts as the backdrop to your holiday in Mariapfarr. It lends itself to experiencing nature up close. The next hiking path, delightful bike tours and slope-rich ski areas are only a stone’s throw away. Athletes and enthusiasts, families and couples all get their money’s worth.
There are several beautiful spots in Mariapfarr and the surrounding villages that need to be visited.
- Pilgrimage basilica: Mariapfarr has been a pilgrimage destination for many centuries. The first church was documented in 923. Today’s building, where Joseph Mohr worked, was built during the 12th / 13th century and received a Gothic treatment in the 15th century. Pilgrimage hikes on the Leonhardsweg remain popular to this day.
- Museum: Directly bordering the pilgrimage church, the parish, pilgrimage and Silent Night museum is dedicated to Mohr’s activities and the famous Christmas carol, among other things. There’s also a lot to learn about the village’s church and pilgrimage history here.
- Niederrain Castle: Probably the site of an early manor in Roman times, this cubic structure dates back to the 16th century. The former castle is currently used as a farm.
- Fanningberg: Hiking and biking region in summer, ski region in winter – the Fanningberg in Weisspriach-Mariapfarr is among the region’s sport highlights.
- Sonnenlehrpfad: This themed hike of Austria’s sunniest place is all about the Sun.
- Biosphere Reserve: The joint UNESCO Biosphere Reserve of Salzburg’s Lungau and Carinthia’s Nockberge is dedicated to the protection of the natural and cultural landscapes.
- Samson processing: The Samson parade was declared a cultural heritage by UNESCO in 2010. Figures from Mariapfarr can also be seen during these impressive processions between late May and early October.
A holiday in Mariapfarr is about tradition and old customs, but also open to sporty activities, enjoying nature and charming modernity. You’ll find a wonderful holiday home to experience the sunniest place in the country in all its splendour and variety at AlpenParks Hotel & Apartment Carpe Solem Mariapfarr.